
The Automobile Federation of Ukraine (FAU) has formally appealed to the FIA after the governing body lifted restrictions on Russian and Belarusian participation in international motorsport competitions.
The change was outlined in a letter from the FIA’s legal office last week and became binding following a World Motor Sport Council meeting on August 3, 2026. Under the revised position, Russian and Belarusian drivers, national teams, individual competitors and officials may compete in international and zone competitions without restrictions.

The requirement to sign a commitment to neutrality has also been removed. National symbols and flags may now be used, while national anthems may be played. However, the ban on international competitions being held in Russia and Belarus remains in place.
The FIA said it would continue to monitor events in Ukraine and retained the right to introduce further measures, including actions required under applicable sanctions regimes or contractual obligations.

The FAU has described the change as a matter of “categorical disagreement” and appealed directly to the FIA president and WMSC members. It called for the August 3 decision to be urgently reviewed and cancelled, with restrictions on the use of Russian and Belarusian state symbols restored.
In its appeal, seen by RacingNews365, the Ukrainian federation argued that Russia’s “armed aggression” against Ukraine continues. It said the return of national symbols belonging to the two countries contradicts the principles of Fair Play while creating serious ethical and security risks.
The FAU also accused Russia and Belarus of using sport as an instrument of state propaganda. It argued that international sports policy towards the two countries should not be revised without considering the ongoing war and Ukraine’s position.
The federation claimed that more than 650 Ukrainian athletes and coaches, including motorsport representatives, had been killed during the war. It has informed Ukraine’s Ministry of Youth and Sports and asked the ministry to join its response. The FAU said it is awaiting an official reply and will announce further steps when appropriate.
The appeal places the FIA’s policy decision under renewed scrutiny, amid wider debate over how international motorsport should approach major regulatory changes, as reflected in recent discussion of Formula 1’s next regulations.
The International Olympic Committee also provisionally lifted Russia’s suspension in July, adding to the broader sporting context surrounding the FIA’s decision.

He’s a software engineer with a deep passion for Formula 1 and motorsport. He co-founded Formula Live Pulse to make live telemetry and race insights accessible, visual, and easy to follow.